Pages

Monday, November 07, 2005

Autumn in New England

New England autumns are incredible. As you know, this is my first fall in Boston. It's really neat to see all of the different nuances of New England vs. those good ole Southern traditions. It's such a special time. I walk through the arboretum on my way home from class every day and so far each day has brought another colorful surprise. In mid-October there were only a handful of maple trees that had turned red, yellow or orange. As the days have passed, I noticed more and more trees turning and now they are all exploding with brightest of fall colors. They are especially breathtaking about an hour before dusk. I've never seen anything like it, not even in North Carolina or the Smokies back in Tennessee. And apple pickin is a time-honored tradition that everyone looks forward to and butternut squash soup is on just about every restaurant's menu. It's hard to believe that Thanksgiving is just around the corner.