Pages

Friday, December 22, 2006

i heart law school

As I reflect back on this past semester and my law school experience thus far, I really must say that as painful as it can be at times, I've really enjoyed it. Because it has been such a humbling experience, it really has opened my eyes to who I am and who I can become and what I can achieve. Before law school, my perception of the justice system was actually pretty bad. I had a brush with the law and the lack of justice in my situation sort of tainted my perspective. Now that I've had more exposure to the inner workings of the system, I've come to realize that my perception was wrong and worse, very subjective. For the most part, the system works and justice is meted out as fair and as effectively as possible. Even though someone ultimately loses and the harm is never restituted in full, our forefathers were very wise and forward thinking. They didn't want to have another England so they sought to protect due process by creating an adversary system with the jury providing the checks and balances to prevent government abuse. I'll probably write more about this later as I reflect more on the system as a whole and recover from finals.

Aside from the "system", I've also learned just how powerful attorneys really are and how much responsibility they shoulder. If you really think about it, everything boils down to a legal question. Every company considers the possibility of liability in every decision they make from hiring to invoicing a customer to paying a creditor. Everyone wants to avoid litigation. $$ for me.

On a more personal note, I've finally found a career that excites my soul and challenges my mind. I can work for myself, the government, a judge, a firm, or a corporation. The opportunities are limitless. This realization alone has given me such a sense of freedom, pride, and excitement.