Pages

Friday, September 28, 2007

Fall is in the air

Summer is officially over and I am in mourning. I can't believe how quickly the summer flew. I am always amazed at how short the season is here. In Texas, summer feels like it's 3 seasons long. It's always hot or muggy. Here, it's dark for two seasons and sunny and somewhat sunny for two seasons. I love sunshine. It makes me feel alive. The transition from spring to summer to fall is subtle. It's the temperature of the breeze. Spring is sunny with a crisp wind. Summer is sunny with a balmy breeze or no breeze at all, just sticky stagnant air, especially in the T stations. During the last month of summer, you know that fall is in the air because of the fluctuations in the temperatures. IT's ridiculously hot one day followed by a three days of crisp breezes or rain then the temps surge for a few days. Now, the leaves are changing color and everyone is rushing to pick apples. And of course, I refuse to do so just because to do so means you've accepted that it's fall, and if you accept that it's fall, then winter is knocking at your door. Or rather darkening your door.

I'm not ready to let summer go just yet. I want to feel the sun on my face and the sand beneath my toes. I want to look sun-kissed and a lovely brown, not the corpse white that we all revert to come October. I want to pad around in my flip-flops and bare feet without scampering for socks, fuzzy slippers, or snow boots. I haven't had enough of the sun or the heat to begin looking forward to fall.

Perhaps I'll get over this silliness in a couple of weeks when I remember how wonderful walks are in the fall and how colorful the trails are when we are riding them. BUT for now, I want to wistfully think of all that I'll be missing when the days turn colder and darker.