Pages

Monday, October 13, 2008

Walnut Creek Park

After almost a week of no riding due to a broken pedal, Seth and I finally hit the trails at Walnut Creek with a friend. I have been hearing that it is one of the best trails in Austin and I was not disappointed. Unfortunately (or rather fortunately) I was having so much fun that I didn't take a single photo! The trail was exactly my cup of tea - super fast and tight singletrack with a lot of switchbacks. A very nice jaunt through the woods especially one that tests your handling skills - some of those turns were really tough to navigate when traveling at high speed. I nearly hugged a couple of trees that jumped out in front of me! I was impressed by the 12+ miles of trails -a majority of which are shaded. There was definitely a little something for everyone - tight twisty singletrack, a few jumps, rooty climbs and drops, and of course creek crossings. Most of the trail was rideable, although I cautiously walked a few of the descents. The best part of all is the caliber of the trails and how wonderfully maintained they are. You can tell that alot of TLC has gone into building and maintaining them. No fallen trees, no long or dipping branches slapping you in the face. It was also wonderful to ride with someone who knew the trail and loops really well. It definitely made the ride more enjoyable without constantly stopping to refer to a map or scratch our heads. It's such a thrill to have a nice trail system within a 20 minute drive from home and to live in an area that has so many trails to choose from. Often during the week we ride the Barton Creek trails because it's so close but on weekends we like to explore areas within a short drive. We will definitely be riding this trail often. But first we want to explore the rest of the nearby trails so please send suggestions!