Pages

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Running a Half Marathon

So Seth and I have just decided to run in the upcoming Austin half-marathon on February 15. This gives us just under 12 weeks to get in running shape. No easy task given that we only run 1-2 times a week and much prefer to ride our bikes over walking or running anywhere. Which begs the question... Why are we doing this? For the challenge. I've competed in triathlons and ran many a 5ks as well as longer trail runs. However, I've never run 13.2 miles. For the last three years, I have not challenged myself physically. All of my time has been devoted to studying with only enough time to maintain the status quo. I also have to come to terms with trying to stay in shape now that the days are shorter. Riding my bike several times a week just isn't practical right now. And I absolutely hate working out at the gym. It's so boring and who wants to spend precious time waiting for a machine or a convenient class schedule. Luckily we found a running program that encourages cross training allowing us to incorporate rides and other activities so that we don't have to give up riding altogether. In fact, I'm sure riding will benefit our training. We'll recover faster and enjoy ourselves more. We just have to run 3 times a week. Gulp.