Pages

Monday, February 01, 2010

Birding along Blanco River



So today I was in Hays County District Court in San Marcos and had the pleasure of driving through Wimberly, one of my favorite places in central Texas. On the way home from court, I decided that I needed a break to destress after such a contentious morning. What better way than to relax and explore Wimberly a little. I decided to explore the Blanco River and all the "retreats" along its bank all from the comfort of my car. It was a little chilly for taking a stroll plus I had to make it a quick detour, I have hearings to prepare for this week! So I took a left on River Road off RR12 and drove along the Blanco River. I can easily imagine floating this river in the summer time along with our dog, Izzy. After all the rain this area has enjoyed, the river has swollen and expanded its banks. I even saw a few rapids.

On my way back to RR12, I saw the most delightful sight. A beautiful blue bird flew above me and landed on a branch. In a flash, it was gone. I have no idea what it was but after consulting my online bird guide, All About Birds. I'm guessing that it's an Eastern Bluebird. I know it wasn't a bluejay. More and more often, I find myself "birding" on hikes, drives, and walks. Last February, I spotted an endangered Woodpecker just outside my apartment. It's such a lovely surprise and I never have time to take a picture!



Photo courtesy of All About Birds, The Cornell Lab of Ornithology.