Pages

Thursday, March 03, 2011

Slaughter Creek Trail



Ahhh I got to try out my new kicks today at Slaughter Creek trail. "The City of Austin Water Utility (City) owns and maintains the Water Quality Protection Lands (WQPL’s). This is not a park, but rather a sensitive environmental area that is preserved in order to protect and improve the quality of water entering the aquifer." The trails remind me a lot of Big Country near our house. It was a fun trail to run, great for a quick workout. I'm not sure how many miles the loop is but it's one of those that even though you're allowed to bike it, it really is too short. It is however perfect for introducing people to trail riding.

Anyhow, I ran the entire loop in about 40 minutes. It was a nice run. My shoes felt good. Toward the end, I began reflecting on my run thus far and wondered where the deer were. Usually deer are out and about just before dusk. About a minute later, I heard the howling of a coyote. It got louder and louder and I swear it was about 50 yards away at one point. Since this was my first visit to the trail, I didn't know how much further I had to go. I did my best to hold the panic at bay but those howls were eerie. I've never heard of a coyote attacking a person before but I sure didn't want to be the first! Needless to say, I picked up the pace and made it safely to the car. I don't think I will be out there at dusk again although my heartrate sure did reach anaerobic levels! ;)