Pages

Saturday, April 30, 2011

At the Birdfeeder

I spotted a male and female Northern Bobwhite, otherwise known as "quail", this morning at my feeder along with a couple of cardinals and plus our old friend, a golden-fronted woodpecker that loves to peck away on the telephone pole.

The male has a black and white stripe. I still think it's cute that birds stay together as couples and raise a family. Quails tend to live and travel in "coveys" for survival, warmth and well probably just plain ole companionship. Quails are gamebirds which is strange because they really are tiny yet plump. The male I spotted this morning was pretty awkward. He foraged the grass for seeds that fell from the feeder and then flew up to a limb and tried to figure out how to get to the feeder. He couldn't so he plopped back down on the ground. Although quails are prominent in this region of Texas, this morning was the first time I've actually seen one near my place.