Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Vacation Destination: Colonial Willamsburg, VA

Last week we spent the week in Williamburg, VA an area rich in American Revolution history. I would characterize the trip as an educational one. It was an opportunity to relearn all the history I forgot since high school and The Patriot. We toured the Jamestown Settlement and as an adult, you realize just how tough it really was for the first settlers and the attitudes held by those who supported the king or the revolutionaries. We also toured Yorktown in which I discovered how the French and the Americans utilized "earthworks" to defeat the British. It was impressive to see the different types of cannons and their firing ranges and unique tactical advantages. And I learned about Patrick Henry, the "Greatest Lawyer that Ever Lived" who contributed much more than his catchphrase, "give me death or give me liberty".