Pages

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

A week ago today, I finally went under the knife and had the dreadful bunion fixed on my right foot. I had hoped to forego said surgery entirely but the two weeks spent hiking across Europe made it painfully clear that it needed to happen and soon. So for the last week I have been bedridden, cooped up, and have run my poor husband ragged with my poor humor. Although I know it had to be done, I hate that it's this time of year that I'm doing it. I love the fall and I love being active in the fall - hiking, riding my bike, just being outside doing. something. There's only so much reading and TV one can do. Today, we ventured out to Hoover's restaurant for a "soulful" Thanksgiving dinner instead of preparing it at home. And of course there was a hour-long wait on crutches and in an aircast without the comforts of home. Thankfully the food was good. But as a take inventory of my life and the things that I have to be thankful for, it just doesn't make sense for me to have a pity party about being immobile for a few weeks. It could be worse. I could be permanently disabled. Lonely. Without opportunities. So, today I am thankful. Optimistic. Loved.