Pages

Wednesday, July 04, 2012

A Lesson in Humility

For the last few months, I have been working on this "Peacock Wedding" quilt. It's my "third" quilt. The first two I made were rag quilts for a toddler - my niece. This new quilt was inspired by a friend's wedding invitation. She loves the color blue and her extravagant wedding invitation featured a peacock feather and a beautiful deep blue. I decided right then and there that I would make a quilt for the couple as a wedding present. I chose the pictured Amy Butler fabrics and a pattern called Saratoga. I was, shall we say, ambitious. In other words, I bit off much more than I chew or ahem, sew. This project was a lesson in humility. But, with the help of the kind ladies in my quilting class and the best quilting shop - Valli & Kim, I conquered my fears and acquired some skills. What you see in the picture is just the top. I have also completed the back which is a very simple pattern. No frills. I dropped off the quilt yesterday to another quilter who will use her long-arm machine to "quilt" the entire quilt in a lovely pattern. I can't wait to see the end result!