Pages

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Fingers crossed

I took my ConLaw final yesterday and it proved to be the braindump that I feared it would be. I am both terrified and relieved. After I read the exam, I thought I was seriously going to get up and bolt from the room and out into the street. The first was an awful question where there were no cases on point so you had to start completely from scratch. However, I finally settled down and got going and was surprised by the arguments that seemed to flow out onto the paper. I don't know if they made sense or were entirely workable but they were arguments nonetheless. It was an open book exam and unfortunately I think that is a misnomer because there is no time to look through your materials. I will admit that it did help as I got stuck a couple of times and a quick case refresher got me going again. In a small twisted way, I sort of enjoyed the challenge and would love to have really gone through the argument if given more time. I simply had to make quick decisions, pick my battles, make an argument and then move on to the other two questions. I'm not sure how well I did. Even now, I'm remembering things that I left out or points that I could have made. Most of my classmates looked green when it was over and were not chatting excitedly. Everyone was wiped out. One of my classmates called me on the way home and was panicking. She thinks she flunked. There's no way that happened. She's very bright and extremely articulate in her arguments. She will do well. Me? I'm not sure but then I never am after a final. It could seriously go either way. I'm hoping that I fell in with the pack. It's funny how in grad school, I'm thankful for a passing grade whereas in undergrad, I was always aiming for the top spot in the class. The way I see it is I'm proud to be among the brighest kids around. Middle of the pack is just fine.