Pages

Sunday, May 28, 2006

New River Gorge


BF and I had an amazing week in New River Gorge, West Virginia. We did a little of bit of everything - rock climbing and rapelling in the New River Gorge area, mountain biking, whitewater rafting on the New River, hiking, sightseeing, and camping. The area was gorgeous and the weather was perfect. Sunny skies and mild temperatures. We had an absolute blast. It felt so good to be away from the city and among nature. I didn't realize how much I had missed being in the mountains until I saw the glorious sunsets, felt the crisp and dewy morning air, felt the warmth of the campfire on my feet, and the beauty of the midnight sky glittered with twinkling stars. I even saw two falling stars and just about all the constellations. The trails were just as sweet. Tight and twisty singletrack complete with breathtaking views. My favorite kind. Each night we collapsed into an exhausted slumber after enjoying a full day of physical activity in the sun. And learning the history of the region and the formation of the Gorge was fascinating. The New River is one of the oldest rivers in North America. It formed the Gorge over millions of years. MILLIONS!