Pages

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Memoirs

For the last couple of months, I've been getting more in touch with my creative side by reading, writing, and painting. I've really missed it and I'm saddened by the thought of not having much time for it once class begins in a couple of weeks. As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm really interested in writing a memoir of my life experiences. I've done a lot of brainstorming and have come up with a theme for a book that ties everything together. I outlined my life history and also my parents' life history. I plan to send it to my mom for her perspective and also to help me fill in the blanks. I've also written one essay about my grandmother and drew her picture using color pencils.

I'm beginning to realize that this memoir project will probably take years and may never get published but it still excites me nonetheless. It will hopefully become our family legacy, something that our children and grandchildren will cherish. I would have loved to read memoirs from my parents, grandparents, great-grandparents - to capture how they were when they were young, how they felt during the Depression, WWII, the 50s, 60s, etc. We have so many photos but no stories to go with them other than what little I remember from conversations I had with them. Reading these stories in print will make them feel so much more alive and hopefully answer those same questions that I often ask of my parents about their lives and their parents' lives.