Pages

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

On my nightstand - Pillars of the Earth

I just begun reading Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett on Thanksgiving night and I have not been able to put the book down. It's wonderfully entertaining. I first found out about the book from Oprah. Yes. Oprah. I usually scoff at Oprah's picks but in discussing books with Seth's parents. They both told me about Pillars. They read it several years ago and loved it. So, I asked to borrow and began reading it that very night hoping that it would be mildly entertaining and would help with my insomnia. It has had the opposite effect - I've been reading every night after finishing my studies and in lieu of watching TV. It's a real page turner and it's difficult to guess what comes next. Thanks to law school, I now read everything critically so it's hard to pull the wool over my eyes for very long. Ken Follet is masterful at doing this. Masterful! The book is about the building of a cathedral in medieval times. I know. I thought the same thing. BOR-ing. It's not. It's full of action, plotting, and yes, even love. Hopefully, I can finish it quickly or put it down until after finals because I need to dedicate all my free time to preparing for finals and finishing memos that I need to turn in before classes end next week!