Pages

Monday, November 19, 2007

Come on Texas.

Today I turned in a memo for my Environmental Law class and came across a report which showed that Texas power plants account for 290 million tons of CO2 emissions. This staggering figure makes Texas the biggest source of CO2 emissions in the US. This news of course made me nauseous. It surely doesn't give me a sense of pride that I call Texas home. And it makes me even angrier that the politicians, particularly the Conservatives, refuse to address this problem and really endeavor to transition to cleaner fuels or alternate sources of energy. The Texas power plants are completely dependent on fossil fuels. This comes as no surprise considering how big the oil business is in Texas. Just fly into Houston and you'll see oil refineries as far as the eye can see. It easier to be more removed from the issue when I live thousands of miles away but now that S and I are planning to hang our hats in Austin after I take the bar, I'm growing more concerned. Luckily Austin is more liberal and there are lots of environmentalist tree huggers there. I guess S and I will have to ruffle some feathers and make a few waves when we get there. Can you imagine me picketing those oil refineries??