Pages

Saturday, November 10, 2007

They bore you to death??

As some of you are aware of the old adage for those in law school - the first year they scare you to death, the second year they work you to death and the third year they bore you death. I can attest to the truth of the first two and was really looking forward to being "bored" in my third (and final) year. And by bored, I mean "coasting" "easy" "laid back". Unfortunately, that's not the case for me or basically anyone that I've talked to. I think they meant "unmotivated". I've tried and tried to really psych myself up to study and be enthusiastic about my classes or at the very least about being in my last year. I'm on the home stretch. But I can't because I'm haunted by all the reading that I have to do and of course, I don't want to do it. It's awful. It's official. I am suffering from a severe case of burnout. And I'm not alone. Apparently everyone with senioritis has it. And apparently, we all took the worst possible classes for those suffering from burnout and senioritis. Bar classes and paper classes. Sigh.

But, things are going to change! I'm ramping up for the ramp up. Finals are five weeks away so I need to be in the best possible condition - well rested and alert! I've been feeling really run down and exhausted and overwhelmed even despite some good changes in my diet and regime. It hasn't been enough because I'm also working alot and running wide open all the time. When I'm overwhelmed, I start having issues with anxiety, insomnia, forgetfulness, irritability, comprehension goes way down, stress level goes way up, etc. It's not good for me, and it isn't good for those around me. So, I began taking corrective action by cutting out sodas and sugars a few weeks ago. I've also stopped eating out and starting bringing my own meals and snacks to school and work. We cook lots of home cooked meals and it's made a great difference. However, I'm still battling anxiety, forgetfulness and insomnia so I'm taking more drastic steps. I talked to my boss and reduced my work hours until after finals. Then, I ordered a YOGA dvd so I can do at home every day without any excuses. I added new vitamins to my daily regimen and a couple of new herb supplements to help with sleep and anxiety. Already I'm starting to feel like I'm in more control. I just need to stay disciplined until (gulp) after finals. Keep your fingers crossed for me and say a little prayer. I need to bring my A game so I can graduate and get out of this hellhole!