Pages

Monday, January 07, 2008

High Hopes

Today is the first day of the Spring semester - my last semester of law school - and the longest day of my week. Right now I'm waiting for my Trial Practice class. There wasn't any assignment and I don't have enough $$ to go shopping at the bookstore for all my books. The loan checks are supposed to be cut sometime this week. Thankfully, I had a very good Christmas (lots of $$) and a job to help with the bills and rent. Unfortunately there's nothing left over for the $600 worth of textbooks. Sigh. Usually the first week of the semester is pretty light reading because students are adding and dropping classes. However, inevitably there is that one professor who assigns a sh*tload of reading. Which I didn't do. I went to this professor's class today. Luckily he asked for a volunteer and there was one.. Score! He took it easy on the volunteer and dismissed us half an hour early. Nice. So, now what to do I do? I have no books, no assigned reading. And I have 2.5 hours to kill. I could go shopping but wait, I don't have any money. I head down to the library and scour for a place to sit down and surf. NO such luck. The library is at full capacity. I head to the lounge. Full capacity again but I stopped to chat with one of my classmates for a few minutes. Now I have 2 hours to kill. I stroll the halls looking for empty classrooms but there seems to be a class in each one. Finally, I find an empty bench on the hall and plop down. So here I am blogging in the hall and listening to Pink Floyd. High Hopes. This particular selection seems to fit the mood. Bittersweet Melancholy. I am excited to begin my final hurrah but at the same time, I am not looking forward to the weeks of endless things to do, reading, working, writing papers, anxiety, bar preparation, bar, graduation, etc. This is it. I'm almost done. I'm at the precipice - 100 yards from the finish line. And it feels... fabulous! I am going to enjoy this last semester to its fullest because in just a few short months, I just might be wishing that these days were here again.