Pages

Saturday, January 05, 2008

Books I want to read

So for the last few days I have been compiling a list of books that I would like to read this year. I am hopeful that each will be thought provoking, compelling and enjoyable. I am interested in each of the subjects and many are by authors and humanitarians that I admire.

  1. Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela. An amazing man. I would also like to read the autobiographies of Desmond Tutu, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Gandhi.
  2. A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah. I have heard wonderful things about this book from several of my classmates. I have put off reading it because I know that it will be an emotionally difficult read.
  3. The Nine: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court by Jeffrey Toobin. I am really excited about this one. I am in awe of the Justices - each and every one of them but especially Justice Ginsburg. I also would like to read a biography about former Justices Hugo Black, Thurgood Marshall, and Sandra Day O'Connor.
  4. Audrey Hepburn by Barry Paris. She is one of all time favorite actresses. I love all of her films - especially the campy ones like Breakfast at Tiffany's, Roman Holiday, etc. I think she is fascinating because of her background and how she used her celebrity to help others.
  5. World Without End by Ken Follett. A sequel to Pillars of the Earth which was a masterpiece. I'm very excited about reading this one.

Of course, this is not an exhaustive list and I may add a fluffy piece or two. Classes are starting on Monday and depending on how the semester goes not to mention studying for the Bar, it may actually take me a year to read all of them. If you have picks you think I might enjoy, email them to me please.