Pages

Monday, February 16, 2009

I did it!

I ran the Austin Half-Marathon yesterday and had a great run. I came in at 2:21! Yeah! I didn't meet my original goal of 2:15 but then again, I set that goal before I even knew what the course was like. I didn't factor in all those hills or that I wouldn't be able to train in the last two weeks.

Unfortunately, my sweet dog Trudy took a turn for the worse and we had to say goodbye to her just 3 days before the run. As I mentioned in my last post, I have spent the last 2 weeks caring for her and spending as much time with her as I could. Even though it was a major setback in my training, it was well worth it. Considering the circumstances, I still had a great result. I ran the entire way and only had a few hiccups in the beginning where I was trying to get into my pace in such a large crowd. Who knew everyone was going to be in my pace range? ;-)

Overall, the training, preparation and the run itself was truly a wonderful experience - it reminded me that I really can do whatever I set my "mind" to even when it seems insurmountable. Nothing is impossible. Now that the run is over, I'm ready to hit the bike and explore more of Central Texas. Don't worry, I'm still planning to run during the week but I've really missed riding. Spring is in the air!