Pages

Sunday, March 22, 2009

We don't need no stinkin badges!

Yesterday I was on a mission to prove that you don't need high dollar badges or expensive wrist bands to enjoy the SXSW experience. I hopped on my bike and headed toward South 1st and Congress. On South 1st there were bands playing clubs, restaurants, coffee houses, and yes people's yards. It was fun listening to bands play as I pedaled over to Congress where there was more of the same. I joined up with the gang at the Yard Dog Art Gallery to see the Waco Brothers, Rosie Flores and Jon Langford. And, there was lots of free beer. Gotta love a place that offers free beer, great music and art. The Waco Brothers and Jon Langford were awesome - sort of rockabilly meets swing with a little punk thrown in. I especially love the suits and hats. And it really got rockin when Rosie Flores walked on and joined in. She's very well known in Austin and is a sweet guitar player and singer.





I stumbled my into the gallery on my way out and was amazed by the works of Jon Langford. What a talented artist! He has several pieces portraying country legends like Johnny Cash all priced very reasonably. If only I had $375...

I spotted some of the gang over at the Mighty Cone Trailer across the street and stepped up to order a Shrimp and Avocado cone. They deep fry the shrimp and avocado, roll it up in a wrap with cole slaw and a really spicy sauce. It is GUUUUDDDDD. A little pricey at $8.75 but worth it. I declined having a funnel cake instead opting for a red velvet cupcake with cream cheese icing at hey cupcake, just a couple trailers over.

After completely engorging myself, I walked down to Jo's Coffee for another FREE show, this time it's Fastball.



Just goes to show you can have a good time for a little cash.
Parking $0
Beer $2.50 (one lone star at Joe's, several at Yard Dog)
Dinner $8.75
Dessert $2.50
Admission $0
Total $13.75