Pages

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Arbor Trails in South Austin



Each time I go to the gym, I see people running/walking/riding the trails that wind around the Shops at Arbor Trails off South Mopac and William Cannon. There's also a similar system at the retail shops on Brodie Lane complete with bike racks everywhere. I recall some mention of perhaps joining these two systems together so that there's like 35 miles of trails but I can't remember where I read that, who I heard it from, etc. Please comment if you're aware of this development plans or if you know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, yesterday I decided to try out the Arbor Trails and then swim at the gym right after. I parked at the gym, grabbed my iPod and water bottle and hit the trail running. It was well shaded near the gym but pretty soon the trail was splitting off and winding through retail shops, restaurants, and along Mopac. For the greater part of the run, I was in direct sunlight which is great in the winter but not so good in the hot Texas summer heat. I have no idea how long these trails are but they're soft and easy to run on and I would love to refer to a map so that I can plan a run. After a brief run (couldn't bear that heat for too long), I hit the pool and had a great swim workout despite the cloudy pool and broken clock. ;-)