Pages

Friday, July 10, 2009

Just do it

IT IS HOT here in Austin. The last two weeks have brought back to back 100+ temps. Although I'm supposed to be "training" for a half-marathon and the days are long enough so that I can get in a nice long run or ride after work, I find myself heading indoors to stay cool and avoid dehydration. This of course translates into running on the treadmill (which I loathe but not as much as running in 105 degree heat), spin classes, or swimming. It's been weeks since I've joined up with my running group - bad Jen! I have chastised myself several times for signing up to do another half especially when the bulk of the training is during the hottest time of the year. Why did I do that to myself!

On a brighter note, by incorporating swimming into my so called training regimen, I am becoming a stronger swimmer. This is a source of great pride and achievement for me because when I began swimming again 2 months ago, I could barely swim a lap. My form, if it could even be called a "form", was embarrassing and exhausting. With the help of my awesome swim coach (and fiancee), my form has improved drastically and I'm swimming for 45 minutes. Of course, I'm nowhere near joining a Masters group but at least I'm looking forward to each swim instead of it being a source of stress akin to panic. And I don't get too intimidated by the triathletes in the lane next to me.

Again, I'm reminded of an Eleanor Roosevelt quote: "You must do the very thing you think you cannot do." (Hope I got that right). I never thought I could be a good swimmer or even swim for as long as I have been swimming but I'm doing it. Is there something you "think" you can't do? (Besides running in this awful heat - you know you can do that - you just won't feel great while doing it!).