Pages

Monday, December 28, 2009

A Very Merry and White Christmas

The weekend before Christmas, my husband and I stocked up on goodies at the Sunset Valley Farmer's Market for our Christmas feast. We bought cauliflower, apples, sweet potatoes, butternut squash and buttercup squash. I find myself getting more and more excited about preparing new and traditional dishes with whatever is fresh at the market. So as drove up to Dallas on Christmas Eve, I googled recipes and used the Whole Foods app on my iPhone for inspiration. Much to my surprise, it began snowing around Lorena and didn't stop until we arrived at my parents white lawn. White Christmas!



On Christmas morning, we began conjuring up our dishes and had an amazingly delicious and comforting meal. Smoked turkey, giblet gravy, my mom's cornbread dressing, cranberry sauce, roasted butternut & buttercup squash (me), mashed cauliflower (me), sweet potato casserole with candied pecans (me), pumpkin pie, pecan pie, and my husband's apple pie.

After visiting with family, watching a town of movies, playing Wii, eating more than our weight, we headed back home yesterday. The traffic began backing up in Waco so we headed over to Cameron Park to enjoy the sunshine and crisp air and to treat our dog Izzy for being so good. She was in for a real treat!



There are over 20 miles of multi-use trails. We hiked on one of the running trails that wound its way through a Bamboo forest and along the river.



It reminded me so much of Percy Warner Park in Nashville. Twisty winding roads that you can run or ride on, mountain bike/running/horse trails, frisbee golf, picnic areas. It's a wonderful park. Next time, we're bringing the bikes!

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday with friends and family!