Pages

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Brrrrr! I miss November in the South!

It's COLD! It's 35 degrees and snowing here. S and I ventured out to fight the crowds and finish up our Christmas shopping. I began questioning my sanity in doing so when BF and I parked a mile away and had to walk briskly in the already brisk air. Thank goodness I wore a hat, scarf and gloves. I've never really had to use them except on the rare occasion of snow in Texas or Tennessee. The cold air literally burns your sinuses and the wind slices you in two. This is especially true downtown where my school is. The wind blows through the makeshift tunnels created by the high-rise buildings. I'm not looking forward to walking down those streets in December/January/February. I will say that most buildings have killer heating systems. As soon as you walk in, you're hit with a blast of warm air and then you start sweating from all the clothes that you're wearing. It's similar to experiencing a hot summer in the South where the opposite is true. Hot Summers = Killer A/C and you have to put on more clothes where you're inside. One good thing I've noticed about cold mornings is that I've grown less dependent on coffee to wake up. The brisk early morning air does the trick in a little under 3 seconds, not even expresso has those bragging rights.

Anyway, I can't wait for Christmas. I'm sure we'll have a white one. BF and I are already making plans for sledding just down the street, building a snowman in our yard, snowshoeing through the arboretum, ice skating on JP Pond and skiing in Vermont over Winter Break. Wouldn't it be awesome if we had the snow but didn't have ridiculously cold temps??